IoT is one of the rapidly developing markets we have seen in the last couple of years. With the advancement in technology and the increasing number of software and devices in IoT everyday things are going to change. This has raised the need to test an IoT based application to ensure a high-quality application. However, it requires a completely different approach, keeping in mind the elements involved in IoT and ever-changing technology. Test strategies and planning hold key to start with IoT testing. It also requires to think holistically about the complexities that can arise due to huge volumes and the pace and diversity of data that are being generated across the connected system.
360logica IoT Testing: Key Elements
The complexity of the IoT systems architecture makes it necessary to have different types of tests across entire system components. Scalability, Performance, and Security are the key factors that need to be ensured while testing IoT applications. Some of the tests that we perform are mentioned below.
- Edge testing: Edge testing is important for any IoT application. It ensures coordination and real-time analysis at the edge of a network, which might get hindered by network bandwidth, capability, and reliability.
- Device interoperability testing: We access the capability of interoperating protocols and devices across different specifications and standards.
- Security and privacy testing: Our security and privacy testing ensure data protection, device authentication, and trust in cloud computing.
- Network impact testing: This includes testing the performance of an IoT application in terms of quality and quantity in real network conditions with different network size, topology, and environmental conditions.
- Performance testing: Application involving a huge volume of data and accuracy is tested for performance under various aspects, like time, load, and real-time analysis.
- End-user application testing: This involves usability testing based on the functional and non-functional user experience of an IoT application.
- Connectivity and Protocols: This refers to connectivity testing based on Device to Cloud and Device to Device under a different set of protocols
360logica IoT Testing Approach
The Internet of Things (IoT) has enabled organizations to strengthen their customer engagements by connecting various IoT applications. However, the number of connected elements is expected to explode in the coming years. With the advancement in IoT based application, there is a challenge in validating connected IoT applications, which includes its support for data volume, velocity, variety, and veracity.
360logica has developed a comprehensive and unique testing strategy to tackle any challenges associated with validating IoT applications. 360logica makes use of real devices, tools, and frameworks to perform testing of IoT applications. The IoT test framework developed by 360logica can be easily integrated with various platforms and IoT protocols. The in-house tools can be used to recreate real-time scenarios and when combined with simulators, can facilitate enhanced automation. Our in-depth expertise and offerings make IoT application testing hassle-free and simple. We facilitate end-to-end coverage of the testing by:
- Defining test strategy
- Validating user experience across multiple channels
- Connectivity and interoperability validation
- Using real devices and simulators for performance and scalability validation
- Cloud security and device validation
- Components Validation – It includes various test conditions including Third-party software, Device Hardware, Cloud infrastructure, Network Connectivity, Embedded Software, Sensor Testing, Command Testing, Data format testing, Robustness Testing and Safety testing
Advantage 360logica IoT Testing
- Consistent user experience
- Early automation ensures faster time-to-market
- Validating interoperability of popular devices and protocols
- Reduced cost of ownership
360Logica works on top IoT Testing Tools trending in the market like:
- SOASTA CloudTest
Relevant Case Study
Our client is a US based leading provider of commerce software that enables companies to sell connected devices and services across channels that consumers shop today: in-store.